The kitchen is often the heart of the home. It is here that recipes pass from generation to generation, and countless memories are made. Unfortunately, your family may not be the only one attracted to this central area. Check out why bugs are attracted to kitchens. A few causes may surprise you.
Eight Icky Reasons Bugs Love Kitchens
- Shelter: Bugs love to hide. Kitchens provide limitless places for bugs to make their homes. Cabinets, drawers, and spaces around appliances give numerous shelters for these opportunistic creatures.
- Moisture: Insects need water as much as we do. Kitchens offer many opportunities for bugs to find moisture. Water collects around dripping faucets, dog bowls, condensation around refrigerator lines and endless places throughout the room.
- Food: While this reason may seem apparent, all of the locations of food may not be as obvious. Any temptations that are poorly sealed, from bread in thin wrappers to cereals in flimsy cardboard boxes, draw out a variety of six-legged creatures.
- Spills: Even after you have put away your food items, you may leave enough behind to serve as a feast to hungry insects. Globs of jelly on the table or spilled rice in the cabinet are irresistible to bugs.
- Warmth: Insects always look for heat, especially during the winter months and appliances such as stoves, microwaves and dishwashers produce that heat. They create the perfect, toasty temperatures for unwanted guests.
- Trash: While trash may smell foul to humans, it carries a welcome aroma to bugs. The smell of papers, scraps, and bits of food offer a haven to a host of insects, from ants to silverfish and cockroaches.
- Sugar: Bugs are delighted by the high sugar content found in most kitchens. These creatures draw their energy from fructose, sucrose, and glucose found in fruits, cookies, and other baked goods.
- Fermentation: The only meals better than sugary ones are rotting ones. Starches break down into sugars as certain foods age. Bacterial rot found in overripe fruit or discarded meat trays satisfy bugs’ deepest cravings.
Ridding your home of these tiny invaders is a huge undertaking. Let the professionals help. We at Advanced Pest and Weed Management have over forty years of experience in pest extermination and protection of families and their properties. Reclaim your kitchen by contacting us to make an appointment today.